Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Best Christmas Gift Ever!

Our sweet baby boy was born this past Wednesday, December 18th, 2013!  He made his debut a week early, just in time for Christmas...and we couldn't be more in love.  After feeling crampy all day Tuesday, which was a bit unusual for me, I woke several times during the night with sharp pains in my back.  I lost my mucus plug around 3am, and finally started to consider that this could really be it - after all, it was a full moon!  I called in to work to let them know I wasn't coming in that day to teach, mostly because I hardly slept the night before...I still wasn't convinced this could actually be labor, because I didn't realize that my contractions could be entirely in my back.  I also called my mom and Dave to tell them that they might want to drive up from Florida now, rather than waiting until the next day!  As the early morning progressed, my back pains became worse and Marshall decided to notify work he would not be coming in.  We packed up the car with all of our hospital bags and headed to the doctor's office down the street to be examined.  The doctor informed me that we needed to get to the hospital right away, as I was already dilated 3-4 cm, and was 100% effaced!  By the time we were checked in, Dr. Bohmer (the doctor on call, though not my primary doctor) determined that I was now 5-6 cm dilated.  My labor was progressing very quickly, but things got even more intense once the doctor broke my water.  It was after that that I decided I had had enough of the pain, and needed some rest - so the epidural was ordered, and brought much needed relief.  Another 2 hours passed, and when dilation hadn't progressed, so some Pitocin was added to the medication to move things along.  It started to wear off towards the end, as if I could feel that last bit of dilation to 10 cm.  Upon my last examination, the nurse announced it was time to start pushing!  Marshall and Erin were in the room with me, coaching and providing encouragement.  I was given a bit more medication, and felt more determined than ever to meet our beautiful baby!  After 40 minutes of pushing, and even a few laughs in between, Colin Mackey Rothwell was born at 4:50pm, weighing 6 lbs, 11 oz, and measuring 20.5 inches.  He had many visitors at the hospital, including Pop Pop Lee and Grandma Mary, Nani Lynne and Pop Pop Dave, Grandma Kimmie, and Papa John, Aunt Ginna and Uncle Blake, "Aunt" Aubrey and "Uncle" Chris, and "Aunt" Erin!  One of the biggest surprises was how much dark hair he has!  He also has deep gray/blue eyes, which may change color after a few months.  Colin is perfectly healthy and happy, and is already busy observing his new world.  He loves looking in the mirror, gazing outside, and making funny faces when he snoozes (even a little smile here and there!).  He took to breastfeeding quite easily, much to my relief!  We both have the hang of nursing now, and Colin is certainly one hungry boy!  He eats about every 2-3 hours, and goes through plenty of diapers each day - we're learning that we have to get his diapers changed quickly or else we get peed on!  I'm still adjusting to getting up so frequently throughout the night for feedings, but Colin is learning to fall right back to sleep after being rocked in his cozy chair.  My biggest challenge is learning to rest when the baby sleeps, and remembering that all other tasks can wait.  I'm extremely lucky to have my mom and Dave staying with us for a few weeks to help out with cooking, cleaning, and caring for baby.  Their help and support has been such a gift, and has been incredible in helping Marshall and I make this transition to a family of 3.  We are so blessed that our little miracle has finally arrived, and our prayers have been answered.  Colin immediately became the love of our lives, and we're so thrilled that he's finally here.  Here are some photos of his first week:







No comments:

Post a Comment