Friday, January 31, 2014

The Great Diaper Disaster

I'm staring at a sinkful of yellow-baby-poop stained clothes, which are soaking in a mixture of water and vinegar...amazed at how such a pleasant morning could have gone downhill so quickly.  Allow me to give you a glimpse into the dreaded progression of events, which eventually lead to the glass of wine I am drinking as I compose this blog.

Last Wednesday, Colin had his 1 month check up with the pediatrician.  He weighed in at almost 9 lbs!  "Best not to buy any more newborn diapers!" said the doctor.  After all, we had plenty of size 1 diapers ready to go, and the newborn ones were seeming a bit snug lately (plus, we had had a few leaks to boot).  So yesterday, we used up the last newborn diaper and transitioned to the big boy size 1s!  They did seem a little big, but the package claimed they were appropriate starting at 8 lbs.  So onward and upward...I'd just make sure it was extra snug.  Fast-forward to 5 am - as I'm feeding my sleepy angel, I notice a wet spot surrounding his little leg.  Guess I hadn't quite made it snug enough!  The next round of diapering held fast, so I assumed we were in the clear.  We had a very typical morning of feeding, singing, playing on the activity mat, snuggling, and napping.  I was even able to get a lot of chores done while Colin took his morning nap!  Just as I was feeling very accomplished, it happened - the biggest blowout to date.  The yellow liquid seeped through Colin's onesie, and onto the seat of the swing as he was swaying side to side.  I rushed him upstairs to clean up the mess.  After wiping him down, the pee pee fountain began!  Colin tinkled all over me, the wall, his Gloworm, and himself.  So, we began the entire process again.  Finally clean and cozy in a new onesie and an extra snug diaper, we headed downstairs for the next feeding and cuddling session.  Then, much to my dismay, IT HAPPENED AGAIN.  Only this time, it seeped through Colin's clothes and onto my pillow!  Those of you who know my love affair with my pillows can probably imagine how distraught I was!  It was back to the changing table for yet another cleanup...only this time, the bag in the very full diaper genie became stuck and impossible to change.  Once I finally figured it out, Colin decided he had had enough, and was ready for a nap.  I laid him down in his crib - this time, in an all white bleach-able outfit, on top of a waterproof pad - just in case!  Marshall is picking up some more newborn diapers on the way home from work.  I think we need to create a diaper size between newborn and 1...and if any other mommies have also had an experience like mine today, I think we'd make a fortune!  In the meantime, I'll just enjoy my glass of wine, and hope that the stains will come out.  Here's to a much drier and cleaner evening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment