Thursday, February 20, 2014

Dreading the Doctor

Colin's 2 month birthday was this past Tuesday.  With that came many new milestones, all documented on the chalkboard wall in celebration of the day (see photo below).  Colin has really grown over the last month, and is looking more and more like his daddy each day :)  But with the 2-month mark comes the dreaded visit to the pediatrician for a round of vaccines...1 oral, and 2 shots.  Colin had a shot during his last visit, and handled it pretty well.  He screamed in pain when the needle went in, but was just fine afterwards, and was easily appeased with his paci and a cuddle.  So after a good exam, I knew it was time and winced at the memory of his red-faced wailing a month ago.  I reassured him calmly and held his little hand - and wondered who was going to hold my hand!  The shot in his left leg was a breeze.  My brave little boy didn't even cry!  The nurse told me the 2nd shot in his right leg would be more painful, and that it was.  After it was over, I scooped him up and held him close.  He was calm after a minute or so, and I was able to dress him and put him back in his carseat.  He was sleepy by the time we got home and went easily down for a nap.  After snoozing for about an hour, he woke up ready to eat.  But then, it was all downhill.  My poor baby howled in pain and tears ran down the sides of his cheeks - the first real tears I had ever seen :(  I could only calm him by holding him close and walking around the house.  I had no idea that these shots would cause him so much pain, since the last one was fairly uneventful.  Marshall was going to bring home some infant Tylenol after work, but that wasn't for several hours.  Luckily, I was able to borrow some from a neighbor to give Colin some relief.  The medicine worked almost instantly, and we were both incredibly relieved.  He had another dose before bed, and slept for 7 1/2 hours straight.  He's back to his sweet and happy disposition today!  At least I'll be more prepared for the next round of vaccines at his 4-month check up.  Here's our baby on his 2-month birthday.  Such a big boy!

1 comment:

  1. Liam's 2 month visit was the first time we gave him tylenol and the first time he slept through the night. Congrats Mommy. Every little milestone is amazing!

    ReplyDelete