Thursday, October 10, 2013

Home Sweet Deathtrap

So I get these daily newsletter emails from Parents Magazine, and I always do my best to sort through the articles that I find interesting and relevant.  Today's newsletter focused on baby-proofing your home.  After perusing about 5 different links on the subject, I came to the conclusion that our house is clearly a death trap.  I know our little guy won't be on the move for quite a bit, but like most things involving kids, I'm sure it'll creep up on us before we know it...if he's like most of the boys I know, he'll be into all kinds of stuff in a matter of mere seconds.  So while I appreciate all of the "helpful" advice and tips, I'm now also a little freaked.  Now I know we'll need to have things like corner guards for furniture, and gates at the top and bottom of the stairs...but did you know that those little outlet covers can actually be a choking hazard?!  And here I thought we were already ahead of the game with the few that we have around the house now (left behind by the previous paranoid homeowner and mother).  Apparently, they sell a kind that screws into the wall and has a sliding mechanism to cover the outlet when not in use.  Who knew?!  And the list goes on and on about blind cords, stove knobs, cleaning products, bath seats, baby bedding, dishwashers, balloons, and even purses - all potential hazards!  But then again...as I've heard my elders say time and again, "...well, we all survived, now didn't we?"  So I think I'll try and take it with a grain of salt, and just plan to keep a close eye on our little man.  Maybe these articles are meant for the parents who are watching soap operas and eating bon-bons while their toddler is playing in the toilet.  I'm sure Marshall was an exception here :)


No comments:

Post a Comment